Health & Safety Law is one of the fastest advancing areas of the law in Ireland. In line with William Fry’s commitment to meeting our clients’ needs, we are one of the few law firms in Ireland to have set up a dedicated Health & Safety Unit. This Unit draws together the Firm’s experience and expertise on all aspects of health and safety compliance.
William Fry’s Health & Safety lawyers pride themselves on being available to their clients immediately when an accident occurs, in what can often be difficult circumstances both for a company and its employees.
Our lawyers have experience of advising across a broad range of sectors, including construction, transport, waste disposal, healthcare, energy, information technology and manufacturing. We also advise public sector employees.
Aisling Butler, who is head of the Health & Safety Unit, is the Chair and founding member of the Health and Safety Lawyers Association of Ireland. She lectures extensively on the subject, including at the Law Society of Ireland, on the Higher Diploma in Health and Safety Law and Master of Science in Health and Safety Law at University College Dublin, and at industry-specific events. Aisling is also co-author of the chapter on Irish Health and Safety Law in the UK Publication “Corporate Liability: Work Related Deaths and Criminal Prosecutions” (2nd Edtn).
Our areas of expertise include:
- Representing individuals who are called for interview before the Health and Safety Authority
- Compliance with Health & Safety legislation
- Advising on accidents and incidents, ranging from fatal accidents to minor incidents
- Appearing on behalf of corporate and individual clients before the Courts in prosecutions
- Advising on corporate governance and personal liability of directors and managers
- Advising on contractual documentation and policies to reflect Health & Safety requirements
- Due diligence exercises for both purchasers and vendors in corporate acquisitions
- Bespoke training sessions at board, senior management and general employee level
Our experience includes:
Advising FÁS and B&Q on an ongoing basis on health and safety issues.
Representing a client before the Courts in a prosecution under the Fire Services Act 1981 (as amended).
Defending an explosives company before the Courts in a prosecution instituted by the HSA.
Advising a preferred bidder in a transaction on the due diligence process including reviewing health and safety documents and advising on warranties and indemnities.
Defending bullying and harassment claims before the Courts.
Representing clients before the Rights Commissioners and the Employment Appeals Tribunal for the purposes of penalisation claims pursuant to the health and safety legislation.